Utter madness!

For all topics related to creating and fixing routes

Moderators: Michal Rok, nemesis19

Budlake
Premium User

Utter madness!

Post by Budlake » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:14 am

I give up! This is utter madness!
I am trying to design a route from EGPH to EGKK (FL145-FL420 GOSAM P600 FENIK UL612 DCS UN864 WAL L151 KIDLI).

According to the vroute error messages there is only ONE suitable SID available out of EGPH and that is GOSAM, TLA is not available unless going well out of the way, on airway UL602, to nowhere.
However, after several changes to what I consider is an efficient route, and after arriving at the conclusion that it is not possible to fly above FL245 on that route anyway (that is another story), I am told that the SID limit at EGPH is exceeded connecting to GOSAM!!!?
I am also very surprised and frustrated and probably thankful that I do not fly professionally in the UK when I learn that the 'authorised' route at WAL VOR is not along the airway UN864 WAL UL151(which is controlled airspace) but the direct route from SUBUK to KEPAD (EG5347A). How safe is that for aircraft, passengers and flight crew, indeed for the populace beneath also when aircrew are officially encourage to route outside of the airway system?

If I fly route:
GOSAM P600 FENIK UL612 HON N859 KIDLI
which avoids the WAL problem I am told that I have to fly (compulsory route) L151 TELBA-PEPUL (EG2235A) which means that I can only fly the first route around the WAL VOR!

Another issue is the increasing cost of fuel in the real world; the Eurocontrol edicts seem to forget that allowing aircraft to fly safe and efficient routes not only saves fuel - and therefore money - and lives, it is also less environmentally damaging!

The UK and most of the European airspace regulation is nothing short of being UTTER madness and this example does nothing to counter that perception.

Mike

Budlake
Premium User

Re: Utter madness!

Post by Budlake » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:20 am

Thanks Steve,

If the airspace is so congested where is the logic in sending all the traffic into a very narrow space in uncontrolled airspace? And where is the logic in restricting traffic to just one route and to within a very narrow vertical corridor?
Furthermore, I do not understand the UK Standard Route Document, as you have presented it, because the TLA SID from Edinburgh is not available except to access airway L602; this is confirmed in the vroute route checker and is stated on the current AIRAC EGPH TLA SID chart.

Still confused! :(

Mike

Trevor Hannant
Premium User

Post by Trevor Hannant » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:47 pm

Are you selecting an aircraft type for your route? GOSAM is only for jet aircraft while TLA is available for others

Budlake
Premium User

Post by Budlake » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:05 am

Hi Trevor,

Aircraft selection is not asked for while designing a new route.

That comes in the export and booking process, which is much later.

Mike

Michal Rok
Five Star Club

Post by Michal Rok » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:16 pm

Let me know what string in response should trigger the change to B738. Vroute is capable of detecting jet-only indications and switching back to B738.

Michal