How to know thich SID / STAR is the right one?

For all topics related to creating and fixing routes

Moderators: Michal Rok, nemesis19

ramon.cutanda
Premium User

How to know thich SID / STAR is the right one?

Post by ramon.cutanda » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:40 am

Hi,

First of all I have to say I find vroute amazing. Really. I'm "route planner newbie" and vroute is making my life a whole lot easier. But there's something I can't really make use of it yet, and that's SIDs and STARs. Let me explain with an example.

I have been assigned this rout by a Spanish Virtual Airline:

KSFO CZQ J110 BLD KPHX

Now, if I go to the "Maps" tab I find the following SIDs available:

DUMBARTON SIX
EUGEN FIVE
GAP THREE
LUVVE THREE
MOLEN THREE
OFFSHORE FIVE
OFFSHORE FIVE, CONT.1
PORTE THREE
PORTE THREE, CONT.1
QUIET TWO
QUIET TWO, CONT.1
REBAS THREE (PROP)
SAN FRANCISCO EIGHT
SHORELINE ONE
SHORELINE ONE, CONT.1

Opening all of them and searching for CZQ, which is my first waypoint, is simply crazy.

Is there any fast and simple method to know which SID / STAR to choose?

So far I've found fltplan.com which is simply AMAZING:

http://www.fltplan.com/LogOnToCharts.htm

Having a look at it I soon find that the right chart is PORTE THREE

But fltplan.com only works for the US and obviously I'd like to be able to choose the right chart no matter what part of the world I'm flying.

Thanks so much in advance for any help with this.

Regards,

TorbenJA

Re: How to know thich SID / STAR is the right one?

Post by TorbenJA » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:57 pm

Hello Ramon
Actually it is not easy to tell which sid/star you are going to use. The procedures differs from country to country, so what I write here, may be wrong in other parts of the world.
Normally ATC will assign a sid for you based on runway in use. As runway use is determined not only according to wind direction, but also noise abatement and terrain, you may sometimes be assigned to a sid you didn't expect. Also you might find a difference due to which of 2 parallel runways are in use. In some countries/airports it is standard always to use the same runway for takeoff, and the other for landing, but some places eg. EGLL changes it from time to time to spread the noise.
STARs are sometimes associated to a certain rwy, sometimes not. In Denmark EKCH the (sid/)stars has a letter, which identifies the runway for landing, which the star is connected to, but in the UK the star ends without indicating the proper runway from the name alone. This has the concequence that you can file a star to your flight plan (eg. LAM3A) without knowing the rwy, while this is not possible for EKCH as the star is linked to the runway.
This might give some problems with vroute, as I don't find it all that good to find a sid/star made by vroute due to the above mentioned differences.
In short my advise to you is to file the enroute plan only and let it be up to the controller to assign a sid and/or star for you. If no controller is online, pick a sid/star based on your expirence and from what you see others do.

Torben
VATSIM enroute controller, Scandinavia.

ramon.cutanda
Premium User

Post by ramon.cutanda » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:22 pm

Thanks so much for your kind an detailed reply. I wrote this post soon after I discovered virtual airlines, VATSIM and IVAO, the use of charts... I was a complete newbie then. Now I use Flightsim Commander in order to find out which SID / STAR best suit me. It's real easy. You clic on the name of the SID/STAR and it shows you the path of that SID/STAR in the map. As you said, you never know wich one the ATC is finally going to give you, but at least now I have an effective way to quickly find out. The only downside is having to update its AIRAC cycles through navigraph; which means 20 euros per year. But I find it's worh it.

Kind regards,

Michal Rok
Five Star Club

Post by Michal Rok » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:00 pm

One option could be to first see what procedures does vroute propose (next step after selecting your route) and only later checking the maps. The proposed procedures are already filtered by waypoints, so they should be reasonably applicable.

Michał