Making test flights

Tips, instructions and other information on adding your selected aircraft type to the vroute's fuel calculator

Moderator: Michal Rok

Michal Rok
Five Star Club

Making test flights

Post by Michal Rok » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:31 am

One of the things needed in FuelMania info panel is test flight results. These flights help us fine-tune our calculator for your specific aircraft model. Here's how to make these flights:
From EPKK to LKPR (247 nm)
FL200
No SID, no STAR, clear weather, no wind, straight-in landing
Route: IBEKA M984 HLV W32 BNO M748 VLM
Payload: 1/2 of maximum payload specified above

Test Flight 2
From EPKK to LFPG (686.8 nm)
FL340
No SID, no STAR, clear weather, no wind, straight-in landing
Route: KEKUS T710 VEBEX M992 GUBKO UM992 VAMBO UL984 NOSPA UN857 RAPOR UZ157 VEDUS
Payload: 1/2 of maximum payload specified above
Fuel used from takeoff (holding point rwy 25) to full stop after landing (lbs):
There are two routes prepared, for two different flight levels. The first is intended for prop and jet planes, the second for jets only (FL340). In case of jets, both routes have to be test flown. The airports were picked so that their runways would be in line with the flight direction.

When doing the test flight, please:
* switch off any weather (winds!) that you have in flight simulator
* switch off any ATC, whether online or FS default
* avoid loading excessive fuel at takeoff, as increased weight will affect fuel consumption
* do no SID/STAR - just fly straight after takeoff to #1 waypoint, and try to head straight into the runway from last point
* load payload to 50% of maximum that you specified in fuel data table
* you may use up to 2X time compression (not higher, as it might affect autopilot accuracy)
* start descent early enough so that you won't have to use airbrakes
* finally, please make note of fuel consumed from holding point at departure runway to full stop on arrival airport runway. No taxi part is expected in the fuel amount supplied.

If you have any questions, please post here.

Michal

Ray Proudfoot
Premium User

Re: Making test flights

Post by Ray Proudfoot » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:01 pm

Hi Michael,

I noticed there was no mention of the Project Opensky 747-400 in vRoute so I'm flying your routes and will provide fuel usage. I'm flying the first route with 50% of maximum payload and far more fuel than is necessary. On the second flight I'll load a more realistic fuel amount and leave you to work out what's best.

vRoute Premium is a great program. Thanks very much for providing it.
Regards,
Ray Proudfoot
3 miles east of EGCC, home to British Airway's Concorde 'Alpha Charlie'.

Michal Rok
Five Star Club

Post by Michal Rok » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:08 pm

Ray,

i'm sorry at the moment I don't have the option of having multiple fuel profiles for one ICAO code. In this case I already have the PMDG variant of B744, so I will not be able to include your POSky model of the same aircraft.

Michal

Ray Proudfoot
Premium User

Post by Ray Proudfoot » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:33 pm

Michal Rok wrote:Ray,

i'm sorry at the moment I don't have the option of having multiple fuel profiles for one ICAO code. In this case I already have the PMDG variant of B744, so I will not be able to include your POSky model of the same aircraft.

Michal
Oh, okay. In that case I'll use the PMDG747 for my fuel calculations. Let's hope the two aren't too different. If you do devise a system that allows for multiple variations of the same aircraft type please let me know.
Regards,
Ray Proudfoot
3 miles east of EGCC, home to British Airway's Concorde 'Alpha Charlie'.